General job description
- Provide strategic leadership of the Health & Nutrition (H&N) program with a focus on strengthening the quality of the H&N program.
- Represent Action Against Hunger in relevant external coordination meetings (health and nutrition sector meetings and relevant sub-sectors, technical working groups, donor meetings, national and local authorities and H&N partners).
- Strengthen and develop the AAH H&N component in Syria at the technical, managerial, operational and strategic levels, including meaningful participation in the identification of potential new interventions.
- Build capacity of the H&N team on H&N interventions (including cross-cutting and multi-sectoral support) to ensure evidence-based project planning and implementation, as well as support for future interventions.
- Lead the development and design of the AAH H&N strategy in-country with Technical Coordinators and the wider Programs team, Technical Coordinators, as well as support teams.
- Ensure compliance with global health and nutrition standards, SPHERE standards, technical policy and AAH H&N best practices.
Objective 1: (Provide strategic leadership to H&N program design and technically support implementation)
- Provide strategic leadership with a focus on strengthening the quality of the H&N program encompassing emergency response, preparedness, resilience and early recovery.
- Integrate public health risk communication and community engagement into the H&N program through effective synergy of hardware and software components of the H&N portfolio
- In close coordination with other technical areas, provide leadership and technical support to the H&N team to achieve a strong contextual understanding of community needs with particular attention to the needs of the most vulnerable groups, as well as to power dynamics.
- Responsible for leading the design and technical writing – strong WASH project proposals for funding, including coaching H&N team members on conducting needs assessments and project design.
- Contribute to the development of multi-sector programming, including country strategy, understand and contextualize the linkages between H&N and other sectors (WASH, Food Security and Agriculture, and Livelihoods), as well as between H&N and cross-cutting issues , including gender, protection, environment and conflict sensitivity as they impact H&N programming
- Work closely with the MEAL team to build accountability, ensure feedback and lessons learned feed into program adaptation, design technical methodologies to effectively monitor and evaluate the H&N program
- Provide strategic and technical advice to implementation teams to consider creative solutions to the delivery and monitoring of H&N services, in accessible and inaccessible areas.
- Identify opportunities for action-based research to improve H&N programming, pilot innovation projects, and seek collaboration with appropriate institutions
Objective 2: (Capacity building)
- Participate with the HR department and line managers in the recruitment of H&N staff
- Participate in the design of job postings and H&N job descriptions
- Matrix-manage the H&N team
- Identify capacity building needs of H&N team members and develop learning opportunities using the most appropriate approach
- Support assessment, planning and technical capacity building initiatives of relevant external stakeholders (LNGOs, Ministry of Health).
- Participate in the promotion of a correct and efficient flow of information between members of the H&N team and other members of the AAH Syria mission.
- Promote AAH’s mandate, strategy, procedures and internal policies within the H&N team
- Conduct technical H&N capacity assessments of local organizations collaborating with AAH and contribute to their capacity building
Objective 3: Reporting and Capitalization
- Lead H&N components of monthly status reports, 4W clusters, reviewing internal and external reports, including donor reports.
- Document lessons learned, best practices and case studies to shape national strategies and programmatic approaches, and contribute to broader sector learning; organize lessons learned workshops on technical topics.
- Capitalize on all the experiences and lessons learned from the H&N project
Objective 4: (Contribute to program quality standards)
- Develop guidelines and tools for key interventions identified in the AAH-Syria Technical Programmatic Framework, to ensure compliance with the AAH, CORE Humanitarian Standard, SPHERE Standards and any other relevant international standards throughout of the project cycle.
- Adhere to humanitarian principles and AAH principles at all stages of H&N programming and provide pragmatic guidance to the H&N team on this issue to support their principled decision-making.
- Collaborate effectively with other technical departments and field teams to ensure the integration of the H&N program into the overall program according to AAH standards.
- Provide technical support for the implementation of H&N activities in Syria – including ensuring consistency, standardized approaches, program quality and integration with other WASH program sectors
- Ensure that the program is inclusive of marginalized and vulnerable people and communities, that it promotes the full and equal participation of women and that accountability to affected communities is at the heart of the ways of working
- Develop a framework of cross-cutting themes (gender, protection, environment, conflict sensitivity) within the H&N portfolio
- Mentor and support the H&N team by ensuring that cross-cutting themes are integrated into the implementation: safeguarding, protection and gender mainstreaming, including risk analysis, mainstreaming gender sensitivity conflicts and environmental considerations are taken into account
- Develop and revise in collaboration with the MEAL team the monitoring and evaluation methodologies and tools.
- Provide technical support in the development and implementation of national program evaluations, learning events and specific research activities related to the H&N program.
- Provide technical support for WASH, food security and livelihoods interventions on common areas of work such as WASH in health care facilities, hygiene promotion, promotion of healthy food consumption
Objective 5: Coordinate with support departments
- Contribute to the application of log/kit forms and procedures relating to supply chain, procurement, transport/movement.
- Participate in the design of new budgets related to H&N activities
- Coordinate with support departments in the planning and technical support of H&N interventions
- In coordination with the safety and security department, keep in mind the security constraints of the area of operations for the design and implementation of programs
- Coordinate with Logistics to ensure H&N-related procurement, tenders and contracts meet technical standards that are adequate, cost-effective, timely and appropriate to the context.
Objective 6: (Representation and coordination)
- Actively participate in H&N cluster meetings and relevant technical working groups
- Represent H&N programming at the technical level with donors
- Coordinate effectively with external H&N humanitarian actors involved in regular and emergency interventions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key H&N stakeholders at the technical level, including donors, government authorities and international agencies.
- Influencing key decision makers on sound technical solutions to overcome evidence-based H&N challenges
- Contribute to advocacy efforts on H&N
Description of the candidate
- Degree and/or master’s degree in public health, nutrition, medicine or related field
Specific technical knowledge:
- Solid knowledge of project cycle management
- Proven experience in proposal writing and strategic planning
- Technical knowledge in implementing H&N emergency response
- Excellent reporting experience
- A solid knowledge of the Middle East context, and more specifically the Syrian context, is desirable.
- (at least 3 years) Previous experience in the humanitarian field as a coordinator or similar and preferably with AAH and in the Middle East;
- Good experience working with local/national partners, ministries, experience in implementing H&N interventions and capacity building of partners.
- English (compulsory working language, fluently spoken, read and written)
- Arabic (preferred but not required).
Informatic Systems :
- Windows domain, Excel proficiency required, Sphinx (desirable)
Mobility (national/international) inside and outside Syria
We offer immediate integration into a dynamic international network with the following remuneration package:
Duty Station: Syria/Damascus
- Salary: according to the Action contre la Faim salary grid and according to the candidate’s previous experience.
- This pack includes:
- Expatriate insurance (health, life, repatriation, travel, etc.)
- Break flights/trips in a defined area: (daily break: 215 EUR)
- Round-trip airfare for year-round vacations
- Lodging and housing costs (in shared guesthouse)
- Travel costs to and from the mission.
- 25 working days of paid vacation per year.
- Supplement per month and per child (Under 18): from 100€ to 225€ monthly (according to the standard list of Action Against Hunger – Spain).
– Applicants may be contacted for other suitable positions within Action Against Hunger.
– Due to the high number of applications received, only potential candidates will be contacted.
-Applications will be assessed and vacancies may be closed before the end of the advertisement depending on the availability of qualifications. – The organization is committed to the principles of non-discrimination and diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a wide range of qualified individuals.
In the process of recruitment, selection and appointment, Action Against Hunger implements a series of procedures and actions, including criminal background checks/international verification/certificate of good conduct to ensure that children and vulnerable adults are protected and abuse is prevented
How to register
Interested candidates meeting the requirements should apply through this link:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview by the HR department.
To note. – Given the urgency of this position, the vacant position can be closed no later than the deadline.
Action Against Hunger offers equal opportunities to candidates regardless of their origin, nationality, race, gender, regional and sexual orientation. This vision aims to integrate equal treatment and opportunities between women and men in all HR processes and policies within the organization.