MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Fortanix® Inc., the pioneer of data-driven multicloud security and confidential computing, today announced that its external key manager combined with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) helps customers in Europe and around the world to create, store and manage encryption keys outside the public. cloud seamlessly. The capability, provided as a service, is part of Fortanix Data Security Manager (DSM), born out of its partnership with Google. It allows security-conscious customers to leverage the power of Google Cloud Platform and Fortanix’s best modern external key management system to comply with stringent privacy regulations such as GDPR and Schrems II in Europe, adopting a data-driven approach. to the solution.
Fueling research on sensitive health data
The University of Groningen is a large, prestigious public university in the Netherlands. The university is at the forefront of behavioral research on populations of people with mental illnesses and brain diseases using their smartphone usage patterns and data. Managing sensitive health data requires a very strong security and privacy posture and involves managing large volumes of sensitive and private health data, which is stored in Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
“We were looking for a Google Cloud vetted vendor as a trusted encryption service provider that could integrate directly with Google Cloud Platform,” said Raj Jagesar, University of Groningen. “Fortanix met this criteria and established itself as the vendor of choice with the most mature operational dashboard for independent key management.” Jagesar continues: “Equally mature was the solution’s modern application programming interface (API) that allowed us to integrate and deploy Fortanix DSM SaaS in less than a week.”
Fortanix Data Security Manager offers powerful features, including:
- Multiple key storage and security options: The ability to store and protect encryption keys in the cloud or on-premises with FIPS 140-2 Level 3 HSMs.
- Immobilizer: Fortanix offers a kill switch where an administrator can simply disable the key in use and prevent access to new queries for datasets associated with the Fortanix key.
- Apply access rules: Enforce access to data at rest for Google services such as BigQuery and Compute Engine.
- Cloud encryption key backup and disaster recovery: Backup, restore, and re-import master encryption keys for KMS public cloud.
- Cloud and DevOps compatible APIs: All security features are supported as RESTful APIs for easy integration with cloud-native tools and technologies.
- Global regulatory compliance: Helps comply with regulations such as GDPR, CCPA, Schrems II, HIPAA, etc., and data sovereignty laws around the world.
“Separating key from data and ensuring that no entity can compromise this equation is necessary to achieve the highest level of compliance. Europe is at the forefront of regulating and enforcing these requirements to protect privacy. Fortanix’s technology and partnership with the power of Google Cloud Platform helps customers meet the challenges of GDPR and Schrems II,” said Faiyaz Shahpurwala, Chief Product and strategy at Fortanix. “Global regions have distinct privacy requirements and we are proud to offer our customers the highest level of compliance in Europe, which has some of the strictest data protection regulations, as well as at global.”
Fortanix External Key Manager for GCP is available today; sign up for a 30 day free trial here. For more information:
- Read the case study titled “University of Groningen Achieves European Data Sovereignty and Compliance with Fortanix External Key Management for Google Cloud Platform”
- Register now to attend the webinar titled “Improving Data Security and Privacy in Google Cloud with External Key Manager”, October 5, 2022 at 10:00 BST
Visit the Fortanix External Key Control and Management for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) website.
View Google Cloud Documentation on external key managers.
Learn PayPal thrives with Fortanix and Google Cloud External Key Manager.
Fortanix secures data, wherever it resides. Fortanix helps businesses of all sizes modernize their data security solutions on-premises, in the cloud, and everywhere in between. Companies around the world, especially in privacy-sensitive industries like healthcare, fintech, financial services, government, and retail, trust Fortanix for data security, privacy, and compliance. Fortanix investors include Intel Capital, Foundation Capital, Neotribe Ventures and In-Q-Tel. Fortanix is headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information, visit https://fortanix.com/.